Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Debt free but broke.

So, I have just managed to pay off the rest of what I owed my college for my disastrous summer quarter experience.  The problem?  I literally only have 5 bucks to my name right now.  I am almost out of gas for my car also...  I have applied for 16 jobs as of right now.  Haven't heard anything back from any of them, even though it has only been about 3 days.

Does anyone have any advice how to get a good job?  I don't mind doing anything.  I am a college student that just needs a job for about 3 months.  I have really good recommendations.  I could go work for safeway again.... But I had the most god awful experience working there ever.  I was sick.  I called in sick and they got mad at me for not showing up.  I gave them 24 hours notice.  I was never late a day before then and I almost always stayed for longer to help get other peoples jobs done.  I also started work every day at 4:30 and worked till 12:30.  But for some reason they felt like they could treat me like dirt, because they didn't get the message that I left with two of their employees telling them they need to find a replacement.  I quote word from word from my manager "Sometimes you just have to throw up and come into work".  Yeah ok!  So I should show up sick to handle peoples food?  Right...

Anyways ideas for jobs?

17 comments:

  1. just put in a resume to every single shop or restaurant in your area
    ????
    profit

    ReplyDelete
  2. not good, maybe some labour job to work will get fit and paid not to bad

    ReplyDelete
  3. to be perfectly honest if you need a job asap, just hit the town, ask around no harm done there, check the jobs that propably WILL hire but you rather not to (yep burger flipping included) and you will find some temporary position in no time :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. debt free is the main thing. just work at mc donalds

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just keep trying craigs list and make some rounds around the town. Im sure theres plenty of college food places or whatnot that will give you an application even if you just walk in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on clearing up that debt. I know the feeling; you may only have 5 dollars to your name but it feels great to have the burden off your shoulders.

    If I were you I would start following up on those applications. Show ambition, but don't seem desperate. Another thing to consider is who you're actually talking to when you call. Don't be shy about probing the person you talk to for information, just be polite about it. Ask who you're talking to, who the manager is, hiring manager, and or human resources person is, and when they'll be in. Ask if they can take your name and number down and leave a message on their desk or office door, but don't tell them it's about a job. Think of it this way, if I was a bartender, and someone calls asking if we need any bartenders, my answer is going to be no. But if someone calls and asks about the manager, It's not like I can lie.

    Good luck with the job hunt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Try out a temp agency, they love college kids!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats and goo luck. Check out a temp agency and also possibly just stores around your town. I had luck with both of these in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gonna be hard to find a job in this economy but good luck bro.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Best of luck to you, hope a job turns up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lie on your resume. Look up a sample resume, and just make shit up. Works.

    ReplyDelete
  12. keep searching man, im stick without work to!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't have any advice but maybe make sure your cv/resume is very strong, there are loads of tutorials around.
    Well done for getting rid of your debt though, that's excellent! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm actually in the same process as you are.
    Well, one place I would suggest as someone above said, is to look for a temporary work placement.
    Where I live it's called like, First Call and there's another, but they usually hire you the following work day after a drug test and basic information to see if you can perform at minimal level.
    I can't suggest many other places, but apply, apply and apply; I would also suggest calling and asking about the current status on any of your applications, since every time I called I would get an interview set up that same phone call.

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  15. you may be able to find something in the area you're studying, as a part time position too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. At least you've got your debt out of the way.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My best advice, KEEP CALLING! Make them HATE that phone to ring because they KNOW that it is YOU. MAKE them REMEMBER your NAME!

    ReplyDelete